Hahndorf Attractions – Adelaide Hills Tour
Hahndorf – one of the best things to see in Adelaide
One of the highlights of our Adelaide Hills tour is Hahndorf. And for good reason too! A stroll through historic Hahndorf’s main street is the highlight for many visitors to Adelaide.
Settled in 1939 by Prussian Lutherans bravely seeking religious freedom on the other side of the world, Hahndorf’s picturesque colonial charm remains remarkably intact.
Located just 25 minutes from Adelaide, Hahndorf is Australia’s oldest surviving German settlement and celebrated 175 years in 2014. It still has a strong German flavour most evident in the smallgoods outlets, bakeries, pubs, restaurants and cafes that line the bustling main street. While its proximity to Adelaide makes Hahndorf a perennial favourite as a day trip destination, most visitors wish they had longer to explore all the township has to offer so consider accommodation from the wide range available.
Hahndorf Main Street Highlights:
- Browse the incredible range of shops; from toys, antiques, books, clothing, shoes, minerals, cuckoo clocks, hand-crafted leather wares, natural beauty products and gift ware, right through to butchers, bakers and candle makers! Hahndorf really is a shopper’s paradise! Just park the car and wander up and down the main street.
- For works by local artists and designers pop into the Hahndorf Academy and Bamfurlong Fine Crafts. If you have the kids in tow keep an eye open for the Hahndorf Candlemaker, 3 Wishes Candle Barn (where you can make your own candle in a jar), traditional lolly shops, toy shops (including a dedicated puppet shop) and fairy garden and shop.
- Visit the Hahndorf Academy which is a regional centre for the arts and heritage based in a charming 150-year-old building. Walk through its four galleries, migration museum, artist studios, and retail gallery featuring the work of local artisans. Other cultural highlights are the many galleries and the Angel of Hahndorf sculpture outside the Hahndorf Academy which forms part of the Hills Sculpture Trail.
- Satisfy your appetite at an excellent selection of restaurants, cafes, pubs and bakeries – many serving traditional German fare.
- Visit several boutique winery cellar doors in the main street – Somerled, Rockbare, Scott & La Prova wines and Bendbrook. Hahndorf Inn also has the Adelaide Hills Wine Centre where visitors can taste and purchase a huge variety of wines from across the region.
- Visit Gulf Brewery for a local craft beer.
- Taste and purchase a wide variety of artisan cheeses at Udder Delights and enjoy some of the other experiences they offer including fondue, high tea and cheese making classes by arrangement.
- Take a guided walking tour to soak up Hahndorf’s history and character.
- Visit in autumn for an incredible show of colouful foliage lining the street